Parker's Soccer Class Page
-accompanies Frostburg State PHEC 366, Theory of Soccer [Coaching]
| Course Outline and Resources:
I. Introduction to the Course/A “Philosophy” of Coaching
- Syllabus for the course: Syllabus as a pdf file
- Recommended books are available at amazon.com and reedswainsoccer.com
- Article on how to write Mission Statements
II. Qualities of the Successful Coach/Soccer in the U.S.
- Notes in Powerpoint: lecturenotes_1.ppt
- Handout: Learning vs Winning from US Soccer
III. Creating a Positive Team Environment/Gender Differences
- Handout: Soccer Organization in the U.S.
- Notes in Powerpoint: lecturenotes_2.ppt
IV. Mental Toughness/ Psychological Dimensions/Ethics in Coaching
- Handout: NSCAA Code of Ethics
- Handout: Cmpetitive Profile
- Handout: Mental Toughness
- Notes in Powerpoint: lecturenotes_3.ppt
V. Care & Prevention of Injury/Soccer Fitness
- Handout: Soccer Fitness/Injury Treatment
- Handout: Fitness Tests from US Soccer
- Handout: FSU Women's Soccer Conditioning Program
VI. What is Soccer?/Organizing and Running a Practice Session
- Handout: Practice Planning Guide
- Handout: Blank Practice Planning Sheet
- Handout: Dimensions of Athletic Performance/Principles of Play
VII. Laws of the Game/Sample Soccer Issues/Evaluating your Team
- Handout: Laws of the Game (Blank Outline)
- Handout: Evaluating Your Team
VIII. Technical/Tactical Practice Session Examples
- Session Outline: Ball Control/Dribbling
- Session Outline: Turning/Shielding
- Session Outline: Passing/Possession
- Session Outline: Shooting/Long Passing
- Session Outline: Individual Defending
- Session Outline: Team/Zonal Defending
IX: Student Coaching Sessions
-Began Thursday, April 13th. The Session/Topic List is HERE
Here's a blank session evaluation form that will be used to grade student sessions.
X: Individual Soccer Projects
- Soccer Scouting Report Final Project form is here as a pdf
- These are due no later than Tuesday, May 16th
FSU Women's Soccer Coach
Frostburg, MD 21532 USA
bparker at frostburg.edu
(always e-mail bparker at frostburg.edu with "soccer class" in the subject BEFORE the start of class for credit)
For Tuesday, 4/4:
Describe how the "freeze technique" and using a "model group" are useful as coaching methods.
For Thursday 3/30:
Name 3 Laws of the Game that can be easily adjusted for youth players and explain how each helps in their development.
For Thursday 3/16:
Explain the term "progression" as it relates to planning and conducting a soccer practice.
For Thursday, 3/9:
What makes soccer such a popular sport? Both globally in viewership of professional leagues but also for youth players throughout the world?
For Thursday, 3/2:
Click the link below to take the CDC Concussion Training Course and Print your pdf Certificate of Completion to turn in OR email the pdf, or a screen shot of it, to Coach Parker.
CDC Heads Up Concussion Training Course
For Tuesday 2/28:
For Thursday, 2/23:
For Tuesday 2/21:Thursday 2/16:
What are some of the differences between male and female athletes and therefore coaching each?
Regarding the Four "Essential Coaching Skills“ discussed in class, in your view which is:
--the most important?
--the hardest to attain?--the one you are best at today? Explain...
For Thursday 2/9:
Find and e-mail a quote from a coach (or about coaching) related to any of our discussion topics so far in class - winning vs learning, coaching philosophy, values, player development, etc.
For Tuesday 2/7:
Choose a level of soccer/team and write a mission statement as well as two seasonal goals for the team.
For Thursday 2/2:
Why coach? (or Why do you want to coach?)
What are some of the goals of any coach?
Relate your experiences as an athlete in your response